2005 Statistical Analysis
PROFILE OF DRUG ABUSERS
AGE : Mean age of 29 years
SEX : Ratio of male to female 10:1
CIVIL STATUS : Single 54.40%
FAMILY SIZE : Three (3) to four (4) siblings
OCCUPATION : Unemployed 38.19%
EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT : High School level 27.58%
ECONOMIC STATUS:Average monthly family income P13,063.13
PLACE OF RESIDENCE : Urban (specifically NCR)
DURATION OF DRUG TAKING : More than six (6) years
NATURE OF DRUG – TAKING : Poly drug use
DRUGS OF ABUSE : Methamphetamine Hydrochloride (Shabu)
*Residential and Out-Patient Facility
NUMBER OF REPORTED CASES BY GENDER
(Facility – Based)
|TYPE OF ADMISSION||NO.||%||NO.||%||NO.||%|
|OUT – PATIENT||755||14.03||95||19.19||850||14.47|
|T O T A L||5,378||91.57||495||8.43||5,873||100.00|
STATISTICS ON DRUG ABUSE
For the year 2005, the reporting centers totaled to 55 residential and 3 outpatient facilities, registering an additional 2 residential and another 2 out-patient centers, as compared to those of 2004.
A total of 5,873 cases were recorded, broken down as 5,023 cases (86%) from the residential facilities and 850 cases (14%) from the outpatient centers. Out of the total residential cases, 4,224 (84%) were newly admitted while the remaining 799 (16%) were re-admitted cases. As compared to the figures of 2004, it was noted that there was an increase of 3.55% in the new admissions while there was a 9.92% decline in relapse cases. A significant rise, though, was observed in the out-patient cases from the 2004 figure of 220 to 2005’s total of 850.
The National Capital Region (NCR) had the highest percent distribution of cases with 3,330 (or 56.70%) of the total national admissions. Regions IV-A and III followed with 15.21% and 13.18% admissions, respectively.
Center admissions were predominantly male with a ratio of 10:1. Single clients comprised 54.40%; married (30.05%); with live-in partners (9.38%); and separated (4.5%). As to educational attainment, high school level had the highest percent distribution with 27.58%
Most of these clients were unemployed (38.19%) prior to admission. For those who were previously employed before undergoing rehabilitation, 32.93% were workers/ employees while 7.59% were self-employed/businessman. The average monthly family income of these Center clients is 13,063.13
MOST COMMONLY USED/ABUSED DRUGS/SUBSTANCE
|DRUGS USED / ABUSED||
|1. SHABU (STIMULANT)||3,492||59.46||716||12.19||570||9.71||4,778||81.36|
|2. MARIJUANA (CANNABIS)||1,178||20.06||324||5.52||474||8.07||1,976||33.65|
|5. COUGH / COLD PREPARATIONS||85||1.45||59||1.00||5||0.09||149||2.54|
|6. ECSTASY (STIMULANT)||68||1.16||25||0.43||3||0.05||96||1.63|
|7. COCAINE (STIMULANT)||46||0.78||22||0.37||2||0.03||70||1.19|
|8. NUBAIN (NARCOTIC / ANALGESIC)||33||0.56||25||0.43||1||0.02||59||1.00|
|9. OPIUM (MORPHINE / HEROIN)||16||0.27||11||0.19||1||0.02||28||0.48|
|10. KETAMINE (NARCOTIC / ANALGESIC)||12||0.20||6||0.10||0.00||18||0.31|
* Total Reported Cases from Residential and Out-Patient Facilities
MOST COMMONLY ABUSED DRUGS
Filipino drug abusers, being multiple abusers, take drugs in combination with other similarly intoxicating substances.
For 2005, Methamphetamine Hydrochloride or Shabu, remained as the top drug of choice and was abused by 81.36% (4,778) of clients recorded. Marijuana was second with 1,976 cases (33.65%) while inhalants placed 3 abused were benzodiazepines (3.37%), cough/cold preparations (2.54%), and Ecstasy (1.63%).
These drugs were commonly taken through inhalation or sniffing and by oral administration.